Tuesday 20 October 2009

Italian bread recipe

Here is my brand new blog. How exciting! 
So, why not start with my, and everybody else who has tasted it, truly all time favourite italian bread recipe. I promise you it is one of best breads of its kind you will ever taste, and the easiest to make.., and it requires no kneading! That's why I love giving it away, simply because I know it'll be a success.
 


Above is a photograph from our summer Sunshine Café at my guest house where we served the bread with a yummy lentil soup. The photograph on my blog title shows the fabulous, easy bread, and here's the recipe:

Italian bread 

1 kg white spelt flour
1/4 cube fresh yeast OR 3/4 sachet dried yeast
1,5 ts of Maldon salt
2 large handfulls of sesame seeds. Perhaps some linseeds and sunflower seeds if you fancy?
8 dl water, 35C
Good olive oil 
You can add all sorts of ingredients to the dough- Rosemary, cheese, tomatoes, oregano, sunflower seeds, garlic, or perhaps mix all of them and you have a PIZZABREAD. 
.............................................................
Day 1: Mix the dry ingredients and pour in the tepid water. With a wooden spoon mix until you have a dough with a nice and soupy consistency. Put in the fridge overnight. Or at least for 3 hrs.
Day 2: Put the oven to 225C. Pour a generous amount of olive oil on a baking tray.  Sprinkle Maldon salt on the oil. Put the dough on it. It will be quite runny. With a couple of wooden spoons, fold the dough into a ball. Drizzle olive oil on top and sprinkle with lovely Maldon salt.
Bake at the lowest level in the oven for about 55 mins. Enjoy!


The guests at the guest house love when I serve the bread with Baba Ganoush, sprinkled with pomegranate seeds and with homous. Grilled aubergine spread and chickpea dip for those who wonder what's in the names.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Juli! I am now (back in Bergen and) baking this bread for the third time. Every time I am puzzled by the "quickly fold the dough into a ball with two wooden spoons" part. It sounds so easy, but in my case the dove is always so runny that it just falls back towards the edges. Makes a fantastic bread anyhow, but I don´t think it is suppose to be as flat as it gets when I make it. Maybe I am just not quick enough with the spoons? Suggestions? Recipes are always more than welcome, but I guess you are very busy with the shop;-). Lots of love from Maria who misses your lovely presence!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have modified the recipe, Maria. 8 dl water i sufficient:)
    It also depends a bit on what sort of flour you use.

    ReplyDelete